Monday, February 10, 2014

Shhh! Secret deadline...


I mailed off an original block to the Quiltmaker Magazine folks this morning for consideration in one of their "100 Blocks" publications. I wish I could show you the finished block...it is so cool!!... but I have to sit on my hands until it is (hopefully) accepted and published in the upcoming issue.

All I can tell you is that it is an applique block (duh!) and that I used the following fabrics on my crisp, white background.


Meanwhile, the hand quilting continues.  I have finished the outer border...believe me, there was much rejoicing and happy dancing going on for a while in my family room.

Now, I am doing the outline quilting on the remaining blocks.  I worked on the French horn block while watching Olympic Skating yesterday.  

Before outline quilting...




During and after outline quilting...





I know...it is very subtle, but I will know it is done, and I like the way it makes some motifs "pop" and some just "sizzle" in the background. There are some bigger pieces, like the French horn bell, that really need the quilting to keep them from poofing out. 

It is difficult quilting because there are many layers, but it is satisfying.  At this time, I'm glad I chose to cut the background fabric away from under the larger applique motifs.  Also, due to going around little pieces, I can usually only get one stitch on the needle at a time.

But it is fun to re-visit each design close up as I hum along.  You should hear the crap that runs through my head while working:

1)  "#@%$& - what possessed me to draw this tiny flower blossom so small?!?"

2)  "Oh, I really should have put another leaf here..."

3)  "Yikes - not enough French knots in the center of this flower."

4)  "Ooooo - I really like that fabric..."

5)  "Ahhh - I like to run my hand over the surface of the hand quilting..."

6)  "I wonder if I can talk Steve into making dinner?!?"

7)  "Squirrel!!"

We are our own worst critics, aren't we?

Happy stitching,
Teresa  :o)

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with your block entry - your hand quilting is wonderful as well as your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still so in awe of the intricate hand applique. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your entry but I am confident you will do fine. Terrific hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you bottle some of your patience for hand quilting and applique and send me a gallon of it, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work continually amazes me. It is just so intricately beautiful. I'll look forward to seeing your quilt block in an upcoming issue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so good at this! I just bet your block gets chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh Teresa, I have my fingers crossed that your block will be accepted, how exciting!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I hope you get published. Oh my goodness on one stitch on the needle. Yes, we do tend to be our worse critic and that slows me down. You are doing nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mostly say #5 over and over!
    Such exciting news about submitting a block... I'm crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting it would be to have a block published. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like the satisfaction we get from feeling a hand stitched quilt is there? Good luck with the block entry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing like the satisfaction we get from feeling a hand stitched quilt is there? Good luck with the block entry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!